
The Supreme Student Government, SG for short is considered the biggest and highest organization of the school. Many would say it is a responsibility, a duty, a burden. But I think otherwise. The SG for me was an opportunity, a privilege, a chance. I never considered being a Peace Officer as a job; I consider it more as a challenge. A challenge to make a change, to change for the better.
Everything for me started as a challenge. For the first three years of my high school I was never part of the SG and so everything for me was new when I joined the organization when I was in Fourth Year. But one thing is not new for me, it was service. I was the type of person who would think what would be better for the many, not for the few. And maybe that’s one thing that made me run for the position. This year’s SG started early, having activities as early as May. The Summer Leadership Training was a way for me to get to know the other SG officers. It was somewhat a team-building as well. After all we will be working as one team throughout the year better know them so everything will turn out well. The SG had a lot of activities for this school year and I think this is the best SG I have ever seen in my entire stay in this school. Not because I’m part of it but because I saw the passion in the officers. Everything was from the heart. We really tried to have activities every month. And the most unforgettable activities for me would be the First Naguenian Camp and Rakrakan.
The First Naguenian Camp was really a success and it is all because everyone was there support one another. Well, the facilitators may have several misunderstandings but in the end we knew that we wanted the same thing, it was to make the camp unforgettable. The camp was sure a hit seeing all the campers still active and all craving for more. Seeing the campers ecstatic with the next activities I forgot all the quizzes, lessons, and long tests I missed. It was really overwhelming how big the impact the camp has made in each camper. We gained a lot of friends, best friends and even love interest for others. But most of all we learned about being a Naguenian. Because Naguenians are different, like what we say, “Naguenian ako, iba ako!”
The year-end activity of the SG was the Rakrakan. We spent more than a month for the preparation. We started late December to compile all details and major things to settle. We even encounter rejection from the principal but we never stopped. All we wanted was to give the students a one big year-end celebration and that was our driving force. As the event got nearer and nearer everyone’s topic was all about the Rakrakan and that’s pressure. Hearing from them what they want to happen and having expectations. We, the SG were already cramming, for last minute touches, to arrange things we never expected would pop up and problems we never even heard of. Well, that’s part of it. At least we pulled it through. I even said that all the work was worth it just hearing people shout for more and hearing the guest band play. It was really an unforgettable experience not because we are there to witness everything but because we are all, as one, were behind it. We may have not satisfied all of their wants but I’m satisfied hearing people saying that it was the best Rakrakan ever.
The Supreme Student Government also gave me the chance to experience some “firsts and lasts” in my life. It was to attend all leadership trainings alive, from the division, to the regionals and up to the nationals. The mere fact of living without my parents and being responsible for myself was already a lesson for me during those times. I won’t deny the fact that through these activities I also got to see a lot of celebrities. But that doesn’t end there. There a lot more to it, like meeting other people from all walks of life and from different parts of the country and making sure you will not just try to fit in but to stand out in the crowd.
I can say that we are a lot in number but few in action. That’s one thing I realized in being a part of this organization. Not all of us are that focused on their jobs. Maybe because of the hundreds of school works lined up but that’s why there is such thing as time management. Time Management is a must for us. We have to balance everything, from the weekly meetings, proposals, culminating activities from our daily home works, projects and quarterly requirements. It isn’t easy as it sounds but all the time managing paid off pretty well. Because I got to pass my fourth year and do something for the school Naguenian’s as well.
Criticisms, side comments and violent reactions have always been a part of all the organization activities. Sometimes we just take them all in but sometimes people have gone too far. But that didn’t stop us to continue whatever we have started. They served as an inspiration for us to do better. To aim higher. We may not please everyone in whatever we do the important thing is we tried. It’s better than doing nothing at all. After all they speak only for themselves alone not the whole schools’ complaining. And besides, what’s an adventure without any obstacle and antagonists on it.
Some people say that the reason why people are joining this organization is because of fame. People will be greeting you on the corridors other than your friends, and you will be known as “someone.” For me, it’s a lie. I never intended to join this organization to gain fans or such but maybe I joined this organization because I want to have friends. I want to gain friendship, not fame. What will I do with that if at the end of the day all I’ll realize that everything I did wasn’t for them, it was all for me. And definitely that’s not what I want to happen. I want to see the students enjoying their stay with the most mind-draining school ever. Who said we can’t have this much fun? Like they say, “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.”
The bottom line? Being part of the SG this school year was really a blast. I was able to do things I never thought I could. I was able to meet people I never expected will even to talk to me. I was able to share my ideas to people. And most of all putting our motto to action, “Service for God and Man.”
CHRISTINA ALEXIA C. CASTRO
Peace Officer 2008-2009