

The unique experience of having to
spend a day inside the New Bilibid Prison is one of the most unforgettable
experiences in my life. I would definitely recommend everyone to include this
experience in their Bucket Lists. But I think what Mr. Warren Zingapan said
about people who never experienced being inside the Bilibid will never be able
to understand our feelings, my positive feelings specifically towards the
visit. I can’t deny that my parents were kind of paranoid and all when they
first heard that our fieldtrip will be in Bilibid. So before we officially
entered the building of the New Bilibid Prison I was actually pretty nervous
and scared that maybe there will be a riot or maybe the inmates are violent and
such. But honestly I was more scared of the guard who was inspecting literally
every part of our bags and body compared to the inmates. As soon as we entered
their little hut inside Bilibid and they started sharing their lives and joking
around all my fears drifted away and I realized that yes, they may have been
bad in the past, done something unlawful but they are still humans.



What was really noticeable with all the stories the inmates told us was their feeling of being very optimistic towards life. They were telling that even though they have been inside the prison for so many years they are still hoping to set free, they’re still making the best out of their life though they have been labeled as criminals, they are continuing their lives as normal as they can. At first I find it really unbelievable that these guys are so happy and jolly because I was expecting more of a violent environment but I was totally caught off guard by their home vibes inside their compound. Everyone was actually greeting us with smiles on their faces. That’s another thing I learned from them, the value of family and the small things we usually take for granted. As they were sharing their past experiences and how they miss even the smell of car fresheners it struck me how I take things for granted. I realized that maybe like them everything may change in a blink of an eye. Seeing all these feelings from them simply shows that beyond their ‘convict’ labels they are still humans who miss their family, and with feelings.




But aside from the laughter, stories, and joke we had inside Bilibid I can’t help but notice their faces when it was time for us to leave. In that moment, I thought that even though they are entertaining themselves inside the longing to be free can still be seen in their faces. But that’s how it works and I can’t do anything about it. But then on I realized how fortunate I was and I thank them, not because I can compare myself to them who are suffering, but I thank them for they have shown me what true life is, that there’s hope in everything.